Recent Posts

8.22.2011

Pillowcase Hamper - Tutorial


 
Yall want to make a hamper?!  For like less than 10 bucks, with one of those vintage pillowcases you've been collecting fo-evah?!
 
Yay!  Let's, then!




 
I made this one when I was expecting Emmy, and it has withstood almost 18 months of use!  I love it so much... and it was a cinch to make.  The room she is in now is super tiny, so I needed a hamper that didn't take up a lot of space.  So out of necessity, I made this contraption and hung it on the wall!  Woot!
 
We're in the process of moving her into a different room (if you can call Pinning ideas and daydreaming "the process of moving"), and the decor is going to be different from her current digs, so I am making a new hamper to match.  Thought I'd take you guys along for the ride! 
 
I hope you'll give it a try!  It's crazy easy - except for the picking which pillowcase to use part.  ;)
 
 


You will need:
 
*  a delightful pillowcase
*  an embroidery hoop
*  grommets/grommet setting tool
*  scissors
*  a hammer
*  a hook to hang your hamper on
 
 




-NOTE- When I made the first one, I actually took my pillowcase to the craft store with me (crazypregnantlady) to ensure the hoop I got wasn't too big or too small.  For reference, my new pillowcase measures 19 inches wide across the top when laying flat, and my hoop is 12 inches in diameter.
 
  I got my grommets at Joanns - they are 3/8ths inch and antique brass.  MAKE SURE you also purchase the grommet setting tool that corresponds with the size grommets you are using.  The tool item number you need will be on the back of the grommet box.  Easy peasy.

Also, the size of the grommet only really matters as it pertains to the hook you will be using to hang your hamper.  You want to make sure the grommet hole is large enough to get over and onto your hook.  Also, a scrawny grommet may not hold up as long as a bigger one.  Go for bigger.
 
 

o1.  Lay out your pillowcase, nice and square and flat, with the side you want as the front facing up.  Iron it if you need to.


o2.  Measure along the top opening and find the center.  Mark where I have here... On the side of the pillowcase that's furthest from you.  Err... the inside.  ;)


o3.  Measure down two inches or so from your center point & mark.

o4.  Place one of your two grommet pieces over your marked point, and trace the inside circle:


o5.  Cut out the circle you just traced.  No need to be fancy here... just err on the side of a smaller hole.  You want the grommet to fit nice and snugly.


o6.  Insert the male piece of the grommet into the hole you cut.  This is the piece that's not flat.



Above is how it'll look from the right/front side.


Above is how the back looks.  We'll work from the back now.



o7.  Lay the female/flat grommet piece onto the male piece as pictured above.  You want the concave side facing up.

o8.  *Not pictured because I LOST MY GROMMET SETTING TOOL*, ugh.  Don't loose your grommet setting tool.  I literally went out to the deck and hammered the whatfor out of this poor grommet, after like an hour of searching for my setting tool.  Fail.  Anyhow, set the grommet gracefully by following the tools instructions, and....


o9.  Now, grab your hoop.  We're going to work with the part of the hoop without the screw.


10. Pull your pillowcase up through the middle of your hoop.



11.  Even out the pillowcase around the hoop.  For this one, I folded the pillowcase over until I hit the edge of the... what do you call it?  That 4-5 inch band at the top of a pillowcase?  I went to the end of that. :)


12.  Place the other embroidery hoop (with the screw) over top of it all and tighten her up!

13.  Hang on a wall and enjoy your saved floor space!



 
 
Let me know if yall make one!  Or two - I was thinking this would be SO cute for kiddos who share a room - you could personalize them so easily!

Also, if anything was unclear or you have any questions, holler!


See ya sooon!!! :D
 



22 comments:

  1. This is seriously awesome! It will be great for my toddlers clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! Thanks for the tutorial. So glad you linked up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah this is wonderful!. Love that I found your blog. I enjoyed my visit so much I added you to my blog love page. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute...cute....cute. I'm going to go do this right now! No more picking up little girl clothes after their bath. I needed something to do with the extra pillowcase.
    I'm having a link party on my blog today and I'd love for you to add this idea if you have the time. Thanks for sharing, Maria
    http://caribbeanmissionarywife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful idea! This will be great for a guest room.
    We would love for you to share this at our link party, Crafty Lassie Tuesday. It ends tonight at 5pm.
    www.sewstylishboutique.blogspot.com
    We are having a giveaway! Hope to see you there :)
    Heather & Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. super cute.
    i love this! pinning it!
    {love} lauryn @ lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com
    i'd love if you came to visit!
    i am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so adorable, I can'thttp://soverycreative.blogspot.com/2011/08/pillowcase-hamper.html wait to make one for my daughters room. I featured this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That didn't come out right. I featured your tutorial. http://soverycreative.blogspot.com/2011/08/pillowcase-hamper.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Genius! Practical and pretty!
    You've made a follower out of me!
    Best,
    Rikka J.
    Ricochet and Away!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a clever idea!! And so useful. I'll have to keep this in mind for future ideas. Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mom and grandma used to have one of these...I am going to make mom a new one tomorrow! Great step by step directions...I wish I was as good at writing tutorials!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too Cute!!! Love this idea!

    Chrissy @ ForMamas

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is just darling! I love it! The vintage pillow case is what makes it even cuter! Very clever, too!

    Becky B.
    www.organizingmadefun.com
    Organizing Made Fun

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a great idea think i may try this for my teens bedrooms
    come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. great idea! this would be perfect in my daughter's room. thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this! How do you wash your pillowcase?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you 3 dogs & a baby (cute name!) I just take the hamper out of the embroidery hoop & throw it in the wash. The grommet has never given me any trouble. There are plastic grommets available, too, which may be a better option if you know you're going to be washing it quite a lot (plus, the plastic ones are a lot easier to install!). Send me pics if you make one! :D

      Delete
  17. My kids are bigger, but what a great way to keep their dirty socks ALL TOGETHER!! :) and I can throw the hamper in the wash w/the stinky socks too!! bonus! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY! :D This hamper has a zillion uses. :)

      Delete
  18. My bathroom is too small for a hamper. This will encourage my girls to not leave dirty cloths on the floor of the bathroom. Maybe, Hopefully.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...