Recent Posts

1.19.2014

Debbie's Birthday Dress - and a Thank You



WOW.  So much wow.

Thank you all so much for your kind words in response to my last post.  I was floored by how many of you have felt the same way at one point or another.  Your comments have uplifted me so much, and I feel rejuvenated by getting all of that off my chest.  Thank you guys.

One thing I need to clarify though - Minnetonka was not responsible for that Pinterest mess.  It was a Pinterest user.  As I said, Minnetonka replied to my complaints right away, and they were almost as appalled by the situation as I was.  A company of their reputation has no need to stoop to this type of behavior.  So please, no need to boycott - they're not to blame.  Rock your Minnetonka's proudly. :)


So - let's blog about adorable handmades again, shall we?!?!



Debbie's Birthday Dress + vintage plaid + polka dots = DAWWW!

So I actually made this dress months ago, but - you know... Life.  I have been dying to share it!  It's the glorious Debbie's Birthday Dress by the uber talented SewPony.  It's a perfect, vintage inspired a-line dress with darling options.  I think this was my first ever peter pan collar?!  Why??!  Nothing cuter.




Lol - I'm going to be a little watermark-crazy for the indefinite future, ok?  Ok. :)

This was also my first go at plaid matching!  I've had this beautiful heavy cotton plaid for so long.  I'm not even 100% sure where it came from, but I think it was a thrift shop.  The colors are just awesome, and it's a softsoftsoft cotton, so I was hoarding it in wait of the perfect pattern. This dress was it, for sure. The plaid matching wasn't too difficult, but I may or may not have 9 incorrectly cut half-bodices lying in a heap somewhere. 

I do.




I didn't get any pics of the back on Em, so here is the back.  So sleek:




I hand sewed a hook and eye closure, making the back opening almost invisible!




I HAD to take a picture of this - Emmy's tights from Target have like the exact same confetti thing going on as the aqua colored parts of the plaid.  I can't even.  I took a lunatic-style victory lap around my house when I paired these up.




Have you guys made this dress, too?  So sweet right?  I recommend this pattern super highly - it was a quick sew, and the instructions are great!  And the result is such a classic dress for a lil' lady!




Pattern: Debbie's Birthday Dress by SewPony Vintage, size 3
Fabric: Vintage cotton plaid, navy polka dot cotton from JoAnn
Tights: Target clearance
Shoes: Carter's via eBay


Thank you guys again for your support and for your comments.  I'm so excited to move forward.


Have a fab rest of your weekend!  Hot wings and Patriots happening over here!

Follow on Bloglovin

22 comments:

  1. This is adorbes. Love the combo of the polka dot peter pan collar with the bias plaid. Great job.And the styling with the tights is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I wasn't sure about the print mixing on this one, but I love how it turned out!

      Delete
  2. Looks amazing!! LOL, I totally thought Minnetonka had done the deed. I drove by one of their stores yesterday and wanted to go in, but I didn't because I was mad at them! Boycott revoked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha oh no! Yes, remove any and all boycotts, they're cool man... they're cool. :D

      Delete
  3. REAlly amazing! great plaid skillz - goes perfect with the polka dot collar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this dress! And your plaid matching skills are phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you Teri! This was really fun to make :D

      Delete
  5. Love this dress, Sarah! Perfect plaid matching! And I could totally relate to your recent post. Thank you so much. Glad you are back to sewing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, hi. HER SHOES! Hehe.... Love that dress- the polkas, the plaid, it all works so well. You are fierce, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I have looked in 3 countries for that type of confetti fabric. I've bought it in ready-mades in both jersey and chambray, but can't find it by the yard. I've seen it in no-longer-available listings as "popcorn"... and there was another name for it that escapes me. Seems like a variation on "heathered" to me. Hey, do you know any *big fancy fabric buyers* who might tip me off if they find it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ha hahaha! I just loved reading this! I just did a happy dance on combo's for something big too! You just can't help it and pray that the blinds are shut and no one see's you! ;) Amazing job with the lineups!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emmy in a Peter Pan collar!!! So cute. Congrats on the accessorizing too. Not just the amazing tights, but those shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. she is so freakin' adorable and great plaid matching!! i meant to comment on your other post too - i had a photo stolen from me once (from the big lebowski film petit - they cropped my watermark out and put it up on imgur and reddit, where it got over 500,000 views in just a couple days and legitimately went viral...with NO traffic coming back to me, and it took me some effort to get them to remove the photos too). it's awful how violating it feels and when it's a photo of your kid it's 100x worse. i'm glad minnetonka listened to you - i love their moccs so it's good to hear there are good people behind it too! anyway, glad to have you back blogging again! missed ya!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, lovely dress! And the plaid matching is amazing! Front, sides, and back all matching perfectly!!!
    Emmy looks adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the dress. I love your blog, too. i started reading when i got your Bimaa pattern in a bundle a while back. I am impressed with anyone who has a little one at home and sews for her and has a blog. I tried it once...not for long. i chose sewing over blogging for now, but im so grateful for those who keep on. Your blog inspires me to sew something.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay... I was wondering when I would see this dress:)) thanks for your kind words and I love it.. Such gorgeous fabric, matching and the sweet collar. thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  14. The plaid and polka dots really work on this adorable dress and how you matched up the plaid, regardless of how many times trying, is fabulous. I love your blog and the clothes that you sew for your daughter, such style you have, thanks for sharing with us readers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My designer dress is amazing! I was so nervous buying a dress online; worried it wouldn't fit so I ordered a size larger just in case. It also shipped very quickly and arrived within 4 days!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i am new to your blog, patterns and allll that. i just read your post about what happen through pinterest. so glad to see that you are not stopping doing what you obviously are so talented at. being taken advantage of through the internet is such an awful thing. i am in love with this awesome dress and can't wait to see what you do in the future! get your watermark on girl!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...