Recent Posts

4.13.2012

Twisty Bubble Skirt - Tutorial Variation


Hello!  Happy just-about-weekend to you!

So, here is the variation of the Bubble Skirt...



Eeee!  I love the JUNK out of this skirt!
It's a simple variation on the original - just a little tweak to create the twisted look:



Fun, non?!

So let's get right into it!

The steps to make the twist come in around the middle of the original tutorial.  We'll start the fancy business once you get to this step:


Are ya there?  Ok.  Let's twist.


Here you have your Inner and Outer Skirts sewn to one another.

Now, pin as shown bellow.  These pins are just to create handy reference points.  They go only through the single layer of the top Outer Skirt:


Ok, now pull the Inner Skirt up into the Outer Skirt, matching the center back seam.  Leave the pins where they are - don't poke them through both layers of the skirt.


Now, using the center back seam of the OUTER Skirt as reference, move the center back seam of the INNER skirt to the left.  How far you move it over depends entirely on your taste and your fabric.  I thought I was going to move mine all the way over to the left side pin, but I ultimately moved it to only half way between the center back and the left side:


Now - test out your Inner Seam placement.  Smoosh the skirt together at the top to mimic the gathers, and see if you like the effect.  If there's too much twist, bring it back towards center.  If there's not enough twist, venture out further!  Hold it up to see - don't leave it flat, like I have it pictured below.  You won't know the real deal unless you let gravity do the work.


Once you are happy with your twist, pin through both skirts, along the top.  This will hold your twist in place so you can go baste:


That's IT for the variation!

Head on back to the original tute for the last few steps!  Just basting, gathering, and attaching the waistband!  Hurrah!

Note: my waistband is folded in these pictures - it's not folded in the pictures of the original Bubble Skirt.


I hope you love this skirt as much as I do... I am SERIOUSLY considering making one for me!  :D

Send me pictures if you make one - twisted or not!

And, get the full Bubble Skirt Tutorial HERE:


Much love,

Pin It

31 comments:

  1. Love this skirt! It is soo cute... I may have to make one for my baby girl! :-) I'm also your newest follower! Would love if you would also come check out my blog and maybe even follow along :-) sewloveit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this variation! Definitely make one for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a sweet little skirt and it looks like it would be comfy too! Love it! Thanks for sharing and I hope you are having a great weekend!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was literally my click after your bird dress from a different party! I'm a new follower now :) So very, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really think I might make an adult version for myself - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought dresses for my girls that are similar to this and I love them! And this looks simple enough that even *I* can try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Try! And send me pics when you're done :D

      Delete
  7. What a fun variation! I love the two different fabrics you've chosen.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it Sarah!!!!!!!!!!

    Thanks for sharing at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute twist on the original! (pun intended) It's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you added a twist to the bubble skirt! Bubble skirts are cute already but the twist really add something!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so cute and you make it seem so simple to make! I would love for you to share this (and any other creations) at "Pin It & Win It Wednesday" at www.cheapcraftymama.com!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! So cute, unique and simple!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is very cute and something i want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so adorable! i would love for you to link this to my "I Made This" party at Grits and Giggles!
    http://www.gritsandgiggles.blogspot.com/2012/04/i-made-this_18.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. cute ~ this looks like it would be fun to try :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderfully creative tutorial ~ very creative ~thanks for sharing, namaste, ^_^

    ps ~ you might want to join my Magical Monday Blog Meme ~ hope to see you there ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so super cute! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sarah this is really cute. I sure wish I could wear something like that. Thank you for linking up to the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi,

    I followed you over from Wow Me Wednesday and I absolutely love this! Makes me want to get out my sewing machine for summer skirts.

    I would love to invite you to share this, and any other posts you would like to, at my Creative Thursday Link Party at www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com. (Link up until Monday 4-23-12)

    Have a great day,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  20. So cute! I have two little girls and they would love these skirts! Thank for sharing!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so adorable! I wish I could sew. I'll have to find someone to make it for me. :)

    I'd love for you to link up and share on my weekly Pinterest Party: http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/search/label/Link%20Party

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've featured this today at Grits & Giggles! Come grab a featured button!

    ReplyDelete
  23. so adorable! I absolutely love the color, too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am still working on the original version. As soon as I finish those I am going to give this one a go. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks so much for linking up your projects at The Winthrop Chronicles. They are adorable! You have a lucky little lady who gets to wear all these cute clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Many thanks for this idea and tutorial! It´s a great way of using old tshirts for my girls.
    María

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...